ISO 20000-1 is an IT Service Management System standard that provides a framework for best practices, based on the ITIL principles and ISO 9001:2008. ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 states requirements for the service provider to plan, establish, implement, operate, monitor, review, maintain and improve an SMS. The main requirements included in service management system are the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services to fulfill customer agreed service requirements.
ISO 20000-1 – For Whom
ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 shall be used by organizations
- those seeking services from service providers and wanted assurance that their service requirements will fulfilled their needs
- those requires a consistent approach by all its service providers, including those in a supply chain;
- those service provider that aim to demonstrate its capability for the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services that fulfil service requirements;
- those service provider to monitor, measure and review its service management processes and services;
- those service provider to improve the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services through the effective implementation and operation of the SMS;
- Assessor or auditor as the criteria for a conformity assessment of a service provider’s SMS to the requirements in ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011.
ISO 20000-1 – Methodology: IT Service Management System PDCA
Plan-Do-Check-Act is an iterative four-step management method used for the control and continuous improvement of processes, products, and services. Intent of PDCA:
- Understanding and fulfilling the service requirements to achieve customer satisfaction.
- Establishing the policy and objectives for service management.
- Designing and delivering services based on the SMS.
- Monitoring, measuring, and reviewing the performance of the SMS and the services.
- Continually improving the SMS and the services based on objective measurements.
ISO 20000-1 – Service Management System – General Requirements
For implementing Service Management System organization has to consider following steps:
- Define scope and policy for ISO 20000-1:2011.
- Develop management commitment, assign authority & responsibility.
- Establish process and MS manual, documents, work instructions.
- Define document & record control.
- Plan the SMS: Develop Service Management System Plan i.e. objectives; service requirements strategies; limitations of the organizations; regulatory and statutory laws, contractual, compliance and roles. Also plan the resources i.e. people, technical, information; approach for working with other parties on new or changed services; Incorporate Risk Management; technology used; approach between service management processes and their integration with other components of the SMS; and how measures will be audited, reported, and improved.
- Do: (Implement and Operate the SMS) Establish Objectives which is consistent with SMS and Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Appropriate and Timely monitored. Targets should involve quality, value, capability, cost, productivity, resource utilization and risk reduction.
- Check: Monitor and review the SMS. Create internal audit program and implement management review.
- Act: Monitor & measure customer, service satisfaction and complaints. Focus on Continual Improvement – increase ability to fulfill service requirements.
You have questions about ISO 20000-1?
Please contact us for questions about the new standard and your next assessment.
Mr. Rajendra Khare, + 91 9810268573, email@example.com
Source: Information collected from ISO Website